Friday, July 10, 2009

Android Hack: JACHero 2.5

It looks to be that time for me to take a look at another cooked ROM/Build from XDA Developers.

Stats:
Device- HTC Dream/T-Mobile G1
Radio- H_2.22.19.26I
SPL- 1.33.2005
Recovery- CM 1.3.1

ROM/Build Reviewed - JACHero 2.5

You can find the ROM/Build here

Direction I took to update the ROM/Build on the Dream/G1.

1. Downloaded the build from the link above.
2. Mounted my G1 to the Computer.
3. Open the E: drive or F: drive whatever your phone may be when mounted
4. Copy JACHero2.5.zip to your SD card
5. Change name to update.zip (or "update" only if your comp puts the .zip automatically)
6. Power off your device and reboot into recovery
( The Following steps are what I did or do, if you want to do it the same way it is your choice and DroidHead will not be held responsible for any damage to your device.)
7. Wiped the data, 3 times
8. Repaired ext filesystems
9. Applied SD update.zip
10. Reboot device
11. Setup


JACHero 2.5 is another update in the long line of builds from justanothercrowd (Twitter), this is based off of the official HTC Hero SDK. This is a port for the HTC Dream/G1 so not everything likes to work or move they way you want them too. That is why I am here to help you out. This build does have symlinks apps2sd so you will not need to apply the application to get your apps to work.

At the start:
Already it has taken some time to load the TouchFlo home screen, the HTC emblem has been up for atleast 15-20 seconds. On a mobile device that could be week (lol). Now I like to remove EVERYTHING from the home screens, and on 2.5 there are 7 of them pre-installed with HTC widgets. After removing everything from them the device starts off smooth.... we will see once I get it customized to my likes.

Took me about 20 min to get it where I want it.... that is. . . ok, I would like for that to be faster. I have it now overclocked to 528 Mhz and Swapped 32/60.

Application Tests: I will run a series of test to show speed and will record the findings
(These are in no way official, just done with time.)

Test 1 (Opening Babbler and letting it run for 20 seconds then hitting the home button)-
Findings are that it took about 2 seconds when I hit the home button to show me the home screen then about a half a second to load the widgets. Scrolling between screen became choppy for about 5 seconds, and the applications draw was about the same. So overall on Test 1 I would have to grade it a C, it was good but not great or awesome.

Test 2 (Opening Messaging then hitting phone button then home) - Findings are that it took about 5 seconds for the messaging app to start, 4 seconds for the phone screen and home screen to load. There was no lag on the home screen after words it ran very smoothly. I did shutdown most of my task via Advanced Task Manager. I would have to give that a B, that was great to see it running like it should.

Test 3 (Just locking the phone and unlocking)- I let the phone stand on lock for 10 seconds. After unlocking it ran SMOOTH, and fast. I will deffinatley stamp that with an A, THAT is how it is supposed to work.

Test 4 (Making a phone call)- On the phone for about 20 minutes.... no lag. Another A for 2.5!

Grades:
Camera - B
Web - B (Includes Flash 9)
Contacts - A
HTC Widgets - A (Always with the best)
Speed - B- ( I want it to be faster)
Stability - C+ (Needs to be more stable)
Quality - C (It is what YOU make it, it wont come to you fast)


I like it for it's sexy UI, and HTC makes the sexiest apps and widgets. I wish the device would be snappier or quicker than it is, there is slight lag after normal use of going in and out of apps, locking and unlocking, or just phone usage. I will recomend that you purchase the Advanced Task Manager if you want to go full time with this build, because you will need it I have used it 4 times in this review in 2-3 hours (Lots of use). The bluetooth is not working and on the Dream/G1 you cannot open the device in home to use the keyboard. There are some downs but alot of nice ups. In comparisons to "cupcake" builds (like JF or Cyanogen) it will most likely be slower and laggy, but it will be 10X sexier.

What you have to know is it worth it.... You won't know until you try it.

Link to XDA-Developers
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=534479


(PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I AM TELLING YOU MY OPINIONS, YOU MAY HAVE DIFFERENT RESULTS.... ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR DEVICE IS YOUR DOING DROIDHEAD WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR BROKEN PHONES!)


Please feel free to join us all on AndroidandMe.com Forums. You can find me there 7 days a week and tell them DroidHead sent you. :)


-Dh

Some screenshots.....

JH8 JH7 JH6 JH5 JH4 JH3 JH2

No comments:

Post a Comment